Modem Pharmaceuticals Limited (MPL) is a large organization with country wide presence. It is considering to replace its centralized system with distributed processing system. In order to create awareness among the senior executives of the company about distributed processing system, you have been asked by the management to give a presentation on:
- Distributed Processing System and its important characteristics.
- Risks and challenges in adopting distributed processing approach.
Distributed system is defined as a system in which there are several autonomous but interacting processors and or data stores at different geographical locations linked over communication networks.
Some of the important characteristics of distributed processing system are as follows:
- A computer can access files from other computers in the system.
- The computers within the system are able to process data jointly or interactively.
- Files are stored centrally or at local sites. (redundancy)
- Processing can be carried out centrally as well as locally.
- Authority is decentralized as processing can be performed autonomously by local computers.
- End-users of computing facilities are given responsibility for, and control over their own data.
Risks and challenges in adopting distributed processing approach are as follows:
- Security risks arise because processed data is also required to be transmitted.
- As there is reliance on remote systems for processing so failure of remote system and / or communication link can affects local processing also.
- It is hard to administer and manage a distributed system rather than centralized system.
- Cost of maintaining the system increases as more sophisticated equipment and trained staff is required at more than one location.
- Data accuracy issues may arise.
Auditorforum.com is looking forward for your feedback and feel free to ask any question about